Friday 17 January 2014

success and patience

on the 9th December 2013, I went back into hospital to have the Spinal Cord Stimulator battery put back in. After everything I went through before this meant more than anything to me and I just wanted it to all go right. My neuro surgeon told me that because of the scar where the battery goes in had been operated on 6 times that I would be more sore after surgery due to the scar tissue they would have to go through, but he also said that they would try and cut away the old scar because it looked in a bit of a mess and stitch fresh skin together.
I was held in recovery for nearly 2 hours because I was in a lot of pain when i woke from surgery and was been sick because I don't react well to general anesthetic but once they got me comfortable they moved me to the ward. I was the allowed to turn my stimulator back on, once I got it to the right level of setting, it was just like flicking a switch from pain to 65% relief. It felt amazing and was very emotional to have that relief back. i was kept in hospital for 1 night and then went home. My scars from the surgery were incredibly sore and i could barely move but is worth it because I know the surgery pain will go over time.
2 weeks later I went back to hospital to have my scars checked and to see if they were healed and ready for the stitches to be removed. the doctor said they looked good and they took the stitches out (which was quite painful). I felt really anxious about the stitches been removed because this is where it all went wrong but touch wood its going well.
Although i was sore at Christmas it felt amazing to be able to enjoy it and to be able to control my pain at the same time. about 3 weeks after surgery the soreness started to ease very slowly, and I tried to start doing simple tasks, like drying my own hair and putting shoes on.
I have found the SCS is very positional and I have to adjust it very frequently when changing positions. For the first time while having CRPS I have been able to wear leggings and boots that are touching my leg, due to been able to turn my stimulator up quite high.
I can't thank all my family enough for the support they have given me but my mum has been incredible, she has took time off work to look after me and has had to help me so much.
It has now been 5 weeks since my operation and I went to the pain team at hospital to have post operation review, and they were happy with how it was going and that I had healed well. They also adjusted my stimulator because I had the tingling sensation in both legs but I only need it in my right leg. After a few tried they managed to find a setting that worked better for me and where I have the majority of tingling just in my right leg. I also got told I would be able to start physiotherapy in a couple of weeks.
I am still quite sore but that is easing slowly and I am getting there now and I was told I still maybe a little sore for another two months because all just needs time to settle down and heal properly.
Due to having the relief I have been getting impatient because I just want tot try and do everything, but I do have to be patient and take baby steps. I have got many goals i want to achieve but I know its going to take time and been told its going to be a lot of hard work but I am determined to get there and will do all the hard work I have to.
For the first time in 3 and a half years I stood both feet on the floor using crutches to balance, it felt like a dream and this was a major achievement for me, and this is where it all starts and because of all the support I have from family and friends I know I will get there.

1 comment:

  1. My mom has been fighting CRPS for a bit over a decade, and I remember when she had the stimulator placed a few years ago. It was like a miracle for her-- up until then, her pain scale in her leg had been upwards of an 8-9 out of 10 every day. She has recently, in the last year lost some of the effectiveness of the stimulator due to the CRPS spreading and had a spinal drug pump placed, which is also doing wonders. Her pain is usually at a 2-3 now on good days, though the bad days always creep back.

    I hope you continue to get some relief!

    ReplyDelete