Wednesday 21 March 2012

Not letting CRPS, stop me from achieving goals

This blog post is about things I did and how my CRPS was during the years 2008 to 2009.
I was still getting the open sores where my CRPS was and by this time there were 5 different scars that would just open up. When I could feel a sore coming and my mum used to say it might not come but I had never been wrong, it just felt like I couldn’t stop it from happening no matter how much I wanted it to and it was awful. When they would come they would last for a couple of months and then go again. They caused so much pain, because I would have to have dressings on my leg and because my leg is hyper sensitive it caused extreme intense pain.
I had always wanted to be a bridesmaid and then in 2008 I got the chance to. I relied on my wheelchair quite a lot at this stage especially when I would get the open sores. However I was determined to walk down the aisle behind the bride. I had open sores on my leg at the time, but I really wanted to reach the goal I had set for myself. I went to physio and mainly worked on my walking, it was difficult because it really hurt to walk but once I got into the right frame of mind I wasn’t going to give up trying. As the day came and I was bridesmaid and was at the church, I started to walk behind the bride and made it all the way down the aisle. I was so pleased with myself and couldn’t believe I had done it. It did make my pain worse but it was worth it because I had done it.
School did become difficult, coping with the work and the pain I was in, but I enjoyed school and wanted to do well. Whenever I went to the hospital the doctors couldn’t believe I was still going to school. Sometimes it would have been easier to stay at home but I use to think to myself that the pain wouldn’t be any better at home so I carried on going to school. The school was very good and understanding, if I needed time out of a lesson they would allow me to and helped me to cope the best they could.
2009 and I was in my last year at school and getting ready for my exams and I was worried because I struggled to concentrate due to the pain and suffered from short term memory loss due to the pain so I was worried I would forget things. I was predicted fairly good grades but in the mock exams I didn’t get the grades I was predicted.
I did the exams and did find it hard but I just got on with it and tried my best, I revised so much, to try and get the grades I needed to get into the college course I wanted to do.
I got my grades back and couldn’t believe I had achieved the grades I was predicted and some were better than predicted. I came out with 2B’s, 8C’s and 1D. I had got more than enough grades to get into college.
I felt, that although I had CRPS it wasn’t going to stop me doing what I wanted to do and to achieve, so I didn’t let it.

No comments:

Post a Comment